[HIT Forum] High schooler shares his space dream
简介Choi Se-yeong, a student at Gimhae Bunsung High School, delivered congratulatory remarks for The Kor ...
Choi Se-yeong, a student at Gimhae Bunsung High School, delivered congratulatory remarks for The Korea Herald’s Humanity in Tech Forum as a representative of future scientists moving forward for the nation’s space industry.
“I would like to first express my heartfelt gratitude for giving such an exceptional opportunity to speak at this huge forum,” said Choi at The Shilla Seoul on Wednesday.
As part of an experiment last month, students at Aircraft -- an aerospace engineering club at Gimhae Bunsung High School in South Gyeongsang Province -- successfully launched a helium balloon with a camera into the sky.
“The basic idea was to capture the Earth’s marvelous landscapes in the sky and review the concepts about atmosphere that we learned in Earth Science class,” explained Choi, the key member of Aircraft.
According to Choi, the project actually started last year. The launch last year was also successful, but the students failed to carry out the final stage of recovering the balloon.
“We did an in-depth analysis of factors that led to the last trial’s failure, which guaranteed this year’s success,” Choi noted.
Last year, they used a smartphone as a balloon tracker as well as a camera, which could not endure the stratosphere's cold temperatures of up to minus 70 degrees Celsius. This year, they decided to affix a respective GPS tracker and camera to the balloon, while keeping them warm.
Choi recalled his vivid memory of the launch by showing a recorded video from the camera that was on the floating helium balloon. During its nearly 1 1/2 hour flight, the balloon captured a clear image of the Korean Peninsula and even Tsushima Island of Japan over the clouds while reaching the stratosphere.
“The balloon is expected to climb to 33 kilometers in altitude,” Choi said. After the balloon safely survived its parachute landing, the students recovered it.
“Thankfully, our project was reported in many news outlets and received tremendous attention,” he said.
The 18-year old student is now working on a new small rocket project. “As we take steps toward university, our ultimate goal and dream is to build reusable launch vehicles with Korea’s own technology,” Choi announced.
Choi stressed the need for increased interest in the nation’s space industry. “Your support will allow young students like me to take on new challenges more eagerly,” he said.
“While achieving my dream, I will always remember this honorable moment with Sasha Sagan and Dr. Yi Soyeon,” he said, referring to the forum’s main speakers.
Chun Yung-woo, a former South Korean national security adviser and chief negotiator for the six-part ...
9월 셋째 주 주요뉴스 키워드는 #통계조작 #조국 #최강인 의원직상실 #정유정 계획범죄 인정 #세수 펑크 #이재명 체포동의안 가결 #미국ㆍ이란 수김자 맞교환 #윤 대통령 UN총회 ...
13일 김정은 북한 국무위원장과 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령의 회담에 대해 14일 북한 매체들은 “(단독 정상회담에서)만족한 합의와 견해 일치를 봤다”고 보도했다. 김정은이 푸틴 ...
- Fan meeting offers 'Break Time' for 'Dream Academy' trainees on their way to debut
- 박성중 "다음 中응원은 드루킹 시즌2…강서구 선거 안심 못해"
- “北, 무단철거 금강산 골프장서 옥수수 건조”
- [Our Museums] Journey to the Paleolithic era at Jeongok Prehistory Museum
- Hanwha seeks bigger presence in burgeoning global robotics market
- SK invests in US data specialist Glassdome
- BTS' Jungkook to extend solo parade with 1st album 'Golden'
- Apple under fire for ‘overpriced’ iPhones
- Japan's Honda beefs up lineup to revive sales in S. Korea
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed rate pause hopes
- S. Korea to review additional measures against N. Korea's arms transfer to Russia
- "당 망치는 응석받이"…안철수, 이준석 제명 서명운동 시작
- SK Ecoplant recycles over 6,000 tons of batteries
- Seoul subway on verge of strike
- HMM sale to face hurdles amid slowdown in shipping industry
- [이번 주 리뷰] 중동 전쟁 우려…국민의힘 보선 참패(9~14일)
- [New in Korean] Booker Prize
- [New on scene] Hong Xa
- BTS Jungkook's star
- Foreigners turn net sellers of S. Korean stocks for 15 sessions
- SK chief discusses ICT partnerships with Estonia, Carribean Community
- 'Scent of Ink' to be performed at Kennedy Center in Washington
- S. Korea, UAE strike bilateral free trade agreement
- [Herald Review] Lim Hyunsik takes fans for a musical dive into ocean
- SK to hold CEO meeting in Paris