Death toll from Afghan quakes rises to more than 2,000
简介ISLAMABAD — Death toll from strong earthquakes that shook western Afghanistan rises to 2,000, said a ...
ISLAMABAD — Death toll from strong earthquakes that shook western Afghanistan rises to 2,000, said a Taliban spokesman Sunday, in one of the deadliest earthquakes to strike the country in two decades.
A powerful magnitude-6.3 earthquake followed by strong aftershocks killed dozens of people in western Afghanistan on Saturday, the country's national disaster authority said.
Abdul Wahid Rayan, spokesman of the Ministry of Information and Culture, said the death toll from the earthquake in Herat is higher than originally reported. About six villages have been destroyed, and hundreds of civilians have been buried under the debris, he said while calling for urgent help.
The United Nations gave a preliminary figure of 320 dead, but later said the figure was still being verified. Local authorities gave an estimate of 100 people killed and 500 injured, according to the same update from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
The update also said 465 houses had been reported destroyed and a further 135 were damaged.
“Partners and local authorities anticipate the number of casualties to increase as search and rescue efforts continue amid reports that some people may be trapped under collapsed buildings,” the UN said.
Disaster authority spokesperson Mohammad Abdullah Jan said four villages in the Zenda Jan district in Herat province bore the brunt of the quake and aftershocks.
The United States Geological Survey said the quake's epicenter was about 40 kilometers northwest of Herat city. It was followed by three very strong aftershocks, measuring magnitude 6.3, 5.9 and 5.5, as well as lesser shocks.
At least five strong tremors struck the city around noon, Herat city resident Abdul Shakor Samadi said.
“All people are out of their homes,” Samadi said. “Houses, offices and shops are all empty and there are fears of more earthquakes. My family and I were inside our home, I felt the quake.” His family began shouting and ran outside, afraid to return indoors.
The World Health Organization in Afghanistan said it dispatched 12 ambulance cars to Zenda Jan to evacuate casualties to hospitals.
“As deaths & casualties from the earthquake continue to be reported, teams are in hospitals assisting treatment of wounded & assessing additional needs,” the UN agency said on X, formerly known as Twitter. “WHO-supported ambulances are transporting those affected, most of them women and children.”
Telephone connections went down in Herat, making it hard to get details from affected areas. Videos on social media showed hundreds of people in the streets outside their homes and offices in Herat city.
Herat province borders Iran. The quake also was felt in the nearby Afghan provinces of Farah and Badghis, according to local media reports.
Abdul Ghani Baradar, the Taliban-appointed deputy prime minister for economic affairs, expressed his condolences to the dead and injured in Herat and Badghis.
The Taliban urged local organizations to reach earthquake-hit areas as soon as possible to help take the injured to hospital, provide shelter for the homeless, and deliver food to survivors. They said security agencies should use all their resources and facilities to rescue people trapped under debris.
“We ask our wealthy compatriots to give any possible cooperation and help to our afflicted brothers,” the Taliban said on X.
Japan's ambassador to Afghanistan, Takashi Okada, expressed his condolences saying on the social platform X, that he was “deeply grieved and saddened to learn the news of earthquake in Herat province.”
In June 2022, a powerful earthquake struck a rugged, mountainous region of eastern Afghanistan, flattening stone and mud-brick homes. The quake killed at least 1,000 people and injured about 1,500. (AP-Yonhap)
A US nuclear-powered aircraft carrier left a naval base in California last week for a deployment to ...
A set of memorials will be installed in commemoration of last year's deadly crowd crush in Seou ...
김영호 통일부 장관이 14일 오전 서울 종로구 삼청동 남북관계관리단 내 회담장에서 열린 출입 기자 간담회에 참석해 최근 남북 관계와 북러 회담 등 현안에 대한 의견을 말하고 있다. ...
S. Korea set to open largest
With teammate's help, inconsolable shooter regroups in time to win bronze
Maestro Bychkov to debut in Korea with all
Tving streams 2023 MTV VMAs
Welcome Daehakro Festival lights up Seoul's stage hub
Seoul's financial assistance for egg freezing receives attention from single women
- Discussions on need for dialogue on N. Korea denuclearization diminish in US: ambassador
- S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
- [KH Explains] Amazon's cloud industry plans raise fears of Korean market monopoly
- Blackpink's Jennie makes solo debut on Official UK Singles Chart
- Over 90% of fines for illegal short selling imposed on foreign firms
- SK Ecoplant recycles over 6,000 tons of batteries
- [Obituary] Park Seo
- SK to hold CEO meeting in Paris
- Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
- Andong, serene destination for immersing in traditions
- 김웅 "국민은 바꾸라는데 단결만 얘기…의총 뭐하러 하느냐"
- BTS' V joined by Jimin in solo fan meeting 'Vicnic'
- [New in Korean] Witches, ecofeminism, climate crisis: Tale of resilience and nature’s power
- Seoul defense exhibition aims to boost arms exports
- Doosan Robotics to supply chicken
- 北, 러 주최 국제포럼서 '국제수송' 논의…무기거래 우회로 찾나
- Posco Future M achieves 100% recycling of refractory waste
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
- Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
- Foreigners turn net sellers of S. Korean stocks for 15 sessions
- [Coffee Klatch] Take a sip of Turkish coffee in Seoul
- Korea extends fuel tax cut scheme until year's end
- 이용, 지도부 때린 서병수·홍문표에 "선당후사·솔선수범 하라"
- Enhypen announces Nov. 17 comeback with 'Orange Blood'