您现在的位置是：부모와 아이 >>正文
Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
简介Dondeokjeon, a historic Western-style building in Seoul's Deoksu Palace used as a royal guestho ...
Dondeokjeon, a historic Western-style building in Seoul's Deoksu Palace used as a royal guesthouse during the Korean Empire (1897-1910), will open to the public Tuesday after being reconstructed in its original shape, the Cultural Heritage Administration said.
The reconstruction was part of the agency's broader plan to restore the original states of royal palaces, which were damaged during the 1910-45 Japanese colonial rule of the Korean Peninsula.
The two-story building, known to have been first built during the reign of Emperor Gojong around 1901, was used mostly as a reception hall and a place to meet foreign guests. It was also a historic place where his son, Emperor Sunjong, took the throne in 1907.
According to historic records, Dondeokjeon was built in a European style on the outside with the interior reception room decorated in a luxurious style with golden curtains and wallpaper that symbolize the emperor.
However, it was reported to have been demolished in the 1930s, when the Japanese colonial government transformed the palace into a children's amusement park.
It took the government agency about six years to reconstruct the building after the excavation work began in 2017.
The CHA said it has restored the building's original location and appearance based on studies of the remains unearthed from the site, such as floor tiles and bricks, as well as photos, documents and newspaper reports. However, the CHA added an exhibition hall, a library and a hall for culture-arts events inside to make the most of the historical site located in the city center.
There also is a space for various exhibitions and international events on the first floor.
On the second floor, a permanent exhibition highlights the significance of Dondeokjeon in modern Korean history and the diplomacy of the Korean Empire.
The five-part exhibition introduces the process of the empire's establishing diplomatic relations with various countries, including the United States and Denmark, after signing an international treaty with Japan in 1876, and highlights major events in history. It also highlights the lives and activities of Korean diplomats who lived through a turbulent era. An archive of books and video materials has also been created on the same floor.
The CHA will hold a ceremony to mark the opening of Dondeokjeon on Monday afternoon.
The ceremony will be attended by about 90 people, including Prime Minister Han Duck-soo and CHA head Choi Eung-chon, as well as ambassadors from various foreign countries in the country.
"By reconstructing the cultural heritage that was the most important in Korea's modern diplomatic history, we will restore the past historical space and utilize it as a public diplomacy platform for future cultural exchanges," the CHA office in charge of managing the Deoksu Palace said in a release. (Yonhap)
- 부모와 아이
NCT127 will kick off its third international tour with concerts in Seoul next month, label SM Entert ...
- 부모와 아이
More Koreans are expressing a preference for offering cash instead of gift sets to their parents dur ...
- 부모와 아이
Opposition leader Lee Jae-myung, who has been on a hunger strike in protest against what he called a ...
Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
Opposition head pleads for support in ‘fight against Yoon dictatorship’
S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
Apple to launch iPhone15 series in S. Korea on Oct. 13
- 한 경기도 안 뛰고 병역 면제?…국감 오른 아시안게임 '병특'
- [Today’s K
- Choo calls for end to protectionism, supply chain recovery during G20 meeting
- BOK wins lawsuit on face of Korea's 100 won coin
- Yoon vows to sternly respond to N. Korea's threats through S. Korea
- S. Korea to send US$1 mln in aid to quake
- 尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
- LS Cable inks partnership for Vietnam submarine cable market
- Election watchdog faces calls to apologize after failing security test
- PM visits Greece for talks on cooperation, World Expo bid campaign
- TvN’s ‘Unexpected Business’ to return with season 3
- Netflix to release ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ in November
- 문재인 "부동산 정책, 초유 상황에 실책…신뢰 잃어 뼈아프다"
- BIFF expands award categories beyond Asian content to global titles
- Hyundai’s decadeslong support for archery pays off at Asian Games
- Subway fare in greater Seoul rises to 1,400 won
- ‘저위험 권총’ 예산 13억 받았지만…결국 ‘38구경’ 더 사기로
- Israeli forces clash with Hamas gunmen after hundreds killed
- [New on the Scene] Kim Seong
- 홍익표, 체포안 가결파 징계에 “총선 승리 도움 기준으로 판단”