First lady meets haenyeo, expresses respect, gratitude
简介First lady Kim Keon Hee met with a small group of haenyeo -- female divers from Jeju Island who have ...
First lady Kim Keon Hee met with a small group of haenyeo -- female divers from Jeju Island who have traditionally harvested by hand mollusks and seaweed from the sea for a living – in Jongdal-li, Gujwa-eup, Jeju Island, Friday, and expressed respect and gratitude to them for maintaining the tradition despite difficult conditions.
About 10 people attended the meeting, including some who have been diving in Jeju for decades and others who recently came to Jeju from Seoul to learn how to become haenyeo.
Kim listened to stories of how haenyeo have tried to maintain their traditional work and culture while introducing them to young generations. Stories were shared by the CEO of Haenyeo's Kitchen, a restaurant that combines performances by haenyeo and seafood harvested by them, and two young women who came to Jeju Island from Seoul because they were attracted to the haenyeo lifestyle.
Jeju's haenyeo are designated National Intangible Cultural Heritage no. 132 and Important Fisheries Heritage no. 1, while their culture is inscribed in UNESCO's list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
PARIS -- Pulling an all-nighter to make gimbap and kimchi pancakes was the highlight of the year for ...
Choi Se-yeong, a student at Gimhae Bunsung High School, delivered congratulatory remarks for The Kor ...
김태우 국민의힘 강서구청장 후보(가운데)가 11일 이철규 사무총장과 대화하고 있다. 김종호 기자서울 강서구청장 보궐선거 개표가 한창이던 11일 밤, 김태우 국민의힘 후보 선거사무실 ...
- S. Korea, US, Japan install trilateral communication hotline amid N. Korea, China challenges
- Russian, Uzbek nationals under investigation after campsite brawl
- HD Hyundai Shipbuilding invests $47m in Estonian fuel cell for green maritime energy
- 尹 “하마스 무차별 공격 규탄”...척 슈머 등 美 상원 대표단 접견
- 오세훈, ‘TBS 폐지’ 묻자 “그런 일 생겨서는 안 돼”
- Opposition calls for Yoon's overhaul of Cabinet after by
- Posco to build joint venture with US grain company
- LG chief convenes CEO meeting to review growth strategy
- [Herald Interview] Kim Jee
- SM founder Lee Soo
- Milk prices to go up in Oct.
- Yoon's approval rating edges up after 6
- Govt. to survey spending on private education of preschoolers, Suneung retakers
- [Today’s K
- 러 무기 만져보고 타보고...김정은 '북·러 합작' 도발 메뉴 내놓나
- [Herald Interview] Love is what defines artist Dawn
- [From the scene] Eye
- Big firms' debt
- [Herald Review] Ive gives a sneak peek of new album, kicks off first world tour with Seoul gigs
- Art Token launches Hangeul
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
- [Photo News] AI, conventional painting come together
- Yoon appoints new defense, culture ministers without parliamentary confirmation
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- LG Electronics ups Q3 earnings guidance on upbeat demand
- Hyundai Motor chairman marks 3rd year of record earnings
- Four days of jazz festivities take over Jara Island
- Shinhan to bet big on insurance tech startup
- DB Robotics invents nation's first hybrid electric rollator
- Kakao Bank to acquire 10% stake in Indonesian digital bank
- 낙후된 골목시장 누비며 “화곡을 마곡으로 만들 것”