Satellite imagery highlights 'dramatic' increase in N. Korea
简介This week's satellite imagery showed a "dramatic" surge in rail traffic along the border betwee ...
This week's satellite imagery showed a "dramatic" surge in rail traffic along the border between North Korea and Russia, a US monitor said Friday, amid concerns about possible arms transfers following last month's summit between the two countries.
Citing imagery captured on Thursday, Beyond Parallel, a project of the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies, reported an "unprecedented" number of freight railcars totaling roughly 73 in number at Tumangang Rail Station in Rason, a North Korean border city with Russia.
The level of traffic is far greater than what the project has observed at the facility during the past five years, even compared to pre-pandemic levels, it said.
The development comes in the wake of a rare summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and Russian President Vladimir Putin last month. The summit raised speculation that it might have led to a deal feared to help advance North Korea's weapons development and in return prop up Russia's war in Ukraine.
"Given that Kim and Putin discussed some military exchanges and cooperation at their recent summit, the dramatic increase in rail traffic likely indicates North Korea's supply of arms and munitions to Russia," the project said in a report.
"However, the extensive use of tarps to cover the shipping crates/containers and equipment makes it impossible to conclusively identify what is seen at the Tumangang Rail Facility," it added.
On Thursday, broadcaster CBS reported that the North began transferring artillery to Russia as Moscow continues its war in Ukraine.
Seoul and Washington have criticized any possible transfer of arms between Pyongyang and Moscow, warning they would flout multiple U.N. Security Council resolutions, which Russia itself voted for. (Yonhap)
One suspect from a Tajik duo, who allegedly robbed a money exchange store in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Pr ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장은 지난 13일(현지시간) 러시아를 방문해 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령과 정상회담을 개최했다. 연합뉴스“국제법의 틀 안에서 북·러 관계 발전의 기회를 모색하 ...
Hyundai Steel said Wednesday it will showcase its eco-friendly solutions at the Steel & Metal Korea ...
Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
Asiana mishandled midair door
Opposition leader Lee attends arrest warrant hearing at Seoul court
Trilateral talks open on Korea
Hyundai Motor shows off air mobility, drone tech at Seoul defense fair
[Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
- [Korea Beyond Korea] ‘Korea should support Korean history studies, research abroad’
- Jakarta lights up in pink with SMTown Live 2023
- Posco to build joint venture with US grain company
- S. Korea to step up quarantine efforts against animal diseases
- Milk prices to go up in Oct.
- Seoul shares open lower on Fed's higher
- Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
- Rebellions' AI chip to undergo IBM quality testing
- KB chief hopes successor transforms group into 'Samsung of finance'
- [Herald Interview] Mimiirose hopes to make a name for itself
- [이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
- 한동훈, 체포안 설명 8분 넘기자…“짧게 합시다” “왜 이리 시끄럽냐”
- 야당 29명 반란, 이재명 방탄 뚫렸다
- "KTX 꼭 타보고 싶다" 했던 김정은 "만족한 합의"…뭐길래
- 합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
- Incheon Airport passenger traffic to recover during Chuseok holiday
- FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
- S. Korea's drop in exports eases in Sept. on chip sales recovery
- Lotte names ex
- Exhibition 'Hanbok, Revisited' offers modern tastes on traditional Korean clothing
- N. Korea stipulates nuclear force
- NK leader sends congratulatory message to Xi on Chinese founding anniversary
- [Today’s K
- Korea Post names new president